Anonymous Global Biopharmaceutical Company:
QBMS and nQBMS Design & Commissioning
This case study refers to a new biotech facility in Dublin. The site was repurposed as a state-of-the-art, digital-enabled multi-product commercial bulk drug substance facility.
The biotech facility consists of the following buildings:
- New Warehouse Building.
- New QC Labs.
- New Central Utilities Building (CUB) built within the footprint of the existing Production Building.
- New BDS Building built within the footprint of the existing Material Handling Facility.
- Admin Building (Existing Office and Canteen Building).
- Ancillary buildings and areas such as MV Building, Waste Water Treatment, etc.
Sirus delivered a Siemens Desigo CC Building Management System consisting of:
- 33 DPU panels, housing Siemens PX controllers and TX I/O modules, divided into 2 systems QBMS & nQBMS using the latest Siemens Desigo CC software platform.
- 110 Cleanroom Fan Cooling Units housing Siemens PX Controllers which directly ensure conditions are maintained within the Cleanrooms.
- These controllers communicate through a variety of protocols such as BACnet over IP (Ethernet) & Modbus, to record, log and archive additional vital information used in the day-to-day operation of the facility.
- The BMS & QBMS systems sit on the client’s secure IT infrastructure with separate Application and SQL Servers along with dedicated Client workstations (thin clients also) distributed throughout the site.
- Full control of temperature, humidity, pressure control & quality critical environmental alarming.
- All systems are fully validated and have passed all Validation & Testing activities.
This project was managed by a Joint Venture (JV) of PM Group and Jacobs Engineering. It has set a new benchmark with respect to excellence and safety in project delivery for biopharmaceutical facilities. The project was completed and met key milestones and schedule dates 6 months faster than any other worldwide similarly sized pharmaceutical build.
In the event of a site power failure or disaster recovery, the Building Management System can be initiated to execute fully controlled recovery of all QBMS & nQBMS systems ensuring reliability, ease of access and the latest technology using the Siemens Desigo CC BMS platform.
Our successful delivery of this BMS project was due in part to our previous experience with the clients team and our early contractor engagement and involvement with the JV.