Bristol-Myers Squibb: BAS Design, Install and Commission
In 2015, Bristol Myers Squibb commenced the conversion of an existing API facility into a large-scale biologics manufacturing facility and drug product testing laboratory in Cruiserath, Dublin. The project involved the construction of three new buildings: Large-Scale Cell Culture (LSCC) manufacturing, Laboratories, Offices & Canteen (LOC) and Central Utilities Building (CUB), as well as the expansion of the warehouse, compressor building, cooling towers, electrical substation, utility pipe rack and associated site work. Sirus was engaged to supply, install and test a new stand-alone Building Automation System (BAS) for control, monitoring and data collection of the HVAC air handling systems and wet side HVAC/M utility systems sitewide.
Sirus designed and installed a fully integrated, stand-alone BAS that connects with new and existing equipment to:
- Control and monitor HVAC in the manufacturing building, LOC building, CUB, warehouse and security building.
- Monitor and supervise PLC controlled non-GMP equipment in the utility areas such as chillers, boilers, plant steam and glycol systems.
- Monitor a site wastewater treatment plant control system, non-GMP and cold rooms.
- Interface with other systems such as the Electrical Automation System, Process Control System, Fire Alarm System and the OSI Pi site historian and alarm notification system.
- The BAS also allows for future expansion and addition of points.
The project was completed on time and in line with GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) standards and in accordance with regulatory bodies including HPRA (Health Products Regulatory Authority) and FDA (Food and Drug Administration). In April 2018, the LOC building at Bristol-Myers Squibb, Cruiserath received Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Silver certification. The facility has been designed to be highly flexible to accommodate a variety of cell culture processes and the building automation system installed by Sirus is equally flexible. Sirus is proud to have played a key part in the successful delivery of this prestigious project.
“The BAS execution overall was a big success! Thanks to all the Bristol-Myers Squibb, Jacobs and Sirus folks that were part of the BAS team for making that happen.”
Director Project Management Engineering